Thursday, October 29, 2009

When Vintage Predicts the Future




Years ago before living in the Pacific NW was even an inkling of an idea, I collected vintage postcards with snowy mountains on them. That was my 'vintage thing' at that moment. I found this card when I was living in California and little did I know this postcard was a window into my future.
(a multi-paned, wavy glass, chippy paint vintage window but a window nonetheless)



In the past few years, I've lived in the towns on either side of the bridge shown in that picture. Across the street and a few doors down from my house is the exact spot shown on this postcard. Postmarked 1932, Vancouver WA. I moved away from Vancouver this past Spring.

If I'd known this is the way things work, I would have started collecting vintage postcards depicting chateaus in France or winning lotto numbers.

 

That's my big blackboard I made using a vintage frame and chalkboard paint. I keep my long-term to-do list written there. Every once in a while I glance up to see if anything's been crossed off.

Nope, not yet.




The tiny green cup belonged to my dad. It's kind of banged up but I like it because it was his.   It's perfect for a tiny cup of coffee.




Today's project in the doily factory.

15 comments:

  1. The doily factory was full speed ahead today! xo, suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That whole postcard story is pretty great. Your shop is looking lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would have ever thought that a California girl would end up living in snow? huh? Well my dear, you are in a place that is lovely...just lovely...much more than ol' Sac. There must be some good positive ions working in the atmosphere up there because your creations are always a breath of fresh air!

    I am working away in my "doily" fractory, too. Geez, if only I had some worker bees to help out here. But.....Ms. Slowskie works..and she works...and she works...

    love ya,
    becky

    ps: Mr. D. and Miss Fee say HI!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great eye candy as usual. Like the postcard story - if it was French postcards our paths may have never crossed! Just over a week to go....toady was my snowman and candycane day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your postcard, and the story that went with it, but really liked the mug of your Dad's. I'm sure missing mine these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny! I just ran across my Christmas magnets I bought from you a couple of years ago. They are so sweet. (I always forget to pack them up after Christmas so they're in the bottom of my kitchen linen drawer - time to do laundry.) Your creations just charm me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a wonderful story/blog. Funny and sweet my favorite combination.

    So-here's what you should do. Write this whole thing up with the title you used for this blog (ala The Secret) Get a book published and appear on Oprah. Then you can tell millions of people all over the world how they can make their dreams come true by placing vintage postcards in their homes. THEN - TA-DA! YOU will sell them the perfect vintage postcards!!

    I'll take the french chateau. ;o) Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very glad you ended up where you did! It was my good fortune to discover you and your charming treasures from the doily factory. Now if I could just get down to my house not too far from the bridge....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you tell me where to find the chalkboard paint? I was looking for it today and people just scratched their heads. I must be going to the wrong stores!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the postcard story. Womens intuition may be at play here somehow. Have a great weekend!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great example of visualization maybe? I think I will grab some postcards of Paris! I came over here from Cozy Little House and I love your blog. I'm off to do some exploring!

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just discovered your blog through Brenda at Cozy Little House and I love it, you have a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know, they always say to be careful what you wish for...the story of the postcard was so well written. I also liked your reason for keeping the green cup. Oh, and I am loving what is coming out of your doily factory!
    ♥, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are funny! Lotto number postcards...hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your blog!

    And, I'm from the Pacific NW too...

    Warm blessings,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete

I love this part! Thanks for your comment.